Wednesday, June 13, 2018

House of Beauty (All about Skin, The Basics!)



Happy Hump Day!! You're half way to the weekend!! 
Today I thought I'd share all things skin, since that's my business! I'm sharing a bunch of random selfies throughout this post of my face with and without makeup to show that good skincare equals good makeup!




Working at Ultra Beauty I have so many customers that want to come in and spend all this money on makeup and want it to do magical things, like make wrinkles disappear and cover stage 4 acne.  Now granted with a makeup artist and just the right lighting, that can be achieved, but I don't believe everyone has the makeup artist or perfect lighting at their home or available to them all day long.

I also have some clients come in to have their make up done expecting to look twenty years younger when they have never taken care of their skin and tanned and smoked their whole life.  It's just not going to happen.


Good skin does partly come from good genes, but if you take care of your skin on a day to day bases you will age gracefully and your make up will wear perfectly.

*And not that I have anything against Dermatologists, but I would suggest seeing a skin therapist before  going there. Nine times out of ten they will suggest a medication or ointment or tell you to use  Cereve, and I can promise you that a skin therapist can come up with a treatment and great skin care routine that will work for what ever issue you have. At a more affordable cost.*

Now Follow these simple steps for great skin!

1. Cleanse your face morning and evening.
2. Exfoliate your face two - three times per week.
3. Moisturize 

Now I know that not all skin is equal, I see it everyday.  You may have to tweak these steps a little, and also know that as you get older and as the seasons change you may need to change something in your routine. The climate can really affect your skin, and that's why its good to see a skincare therapist every four to six weeks to make sure that your home regimen is on point!

1. If you wear makeup you will definitely want to invest in a cleansing oil, milk, or balm before actually cleansing your face to remove the makeup. (You do not use this in the morning) You cannot even imagine the residual makeup that gets left behind from only one cleanse. 
Adding a cleansing oil, balm, or milk and then your prescribed cleanser will get your face prepped and ready for the next steps. 

Here are a few of my favorite cleansing oils, balms, and milks. 
(Oh and don't let the oil scare you if you have oily skin, oil removes oil.)


Dermalogica PreCleanse Oil is a favorite of mine and they also have a balm.
Both work the same it just depends what you prefer.
You apply both to your face and then add water to emulsify.




Now this is probably the best seller! Everyone seems to love Clinique's Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm, it also comes in a oil, and a milk...



I have dry sensitive skin so I prefer the milky feeling and I've never used Clinique's Balm, but this practically erases the makeup off your face!

There are many other's out there and it's just a trial and error process with all things for your skin to see if you are going to like it and if your skin is going to like it. But like I tell all of my clients, Ulta Beauty has a great return/exchange policy!

2. So let's move on to cleansers. 
I mentioned the word "prescribed" cleanser. Once you remove your makeup you want to use a cleanser that is for your skin type. Now there are a few that are for combination skin that will work for just about everyone. I actually use one, and I have dry sensitive skin , but I have a friend at work who uses it with a completely different skin type.


If you saw my other blog it was what I called the best cleanser every. It's frothy with a spearmint smell and it's like a bubble bath for your face. I love using it with my Clarasonic!

Now if your skin is extreme in one way or the other then you should find a cleanser for your specific type and I would suggest looking at the Dermalogica Cleansers.

They have a cleanser for all skin types! Sensitive (Ultra Calming- which I used before I found the Origins), Oily (Dermal Clay Cleanser), Adult Acne (Clearing Cleanser), Dry Skin (Essential Cleanser), Combination (Special Cleansing Gel), Aging (Resurfacing Cleanser).
They also sale small travel sizes you can try and kits for every skin type.
*And remember to cleanse morning and night!*



3. Let's talk exfoliators!
Exfoliation is the Holy Grail of skin care. This can change your skins life. Helps with oil reduction, clearing breakouts, smoothing skin's texture, sloughing off dry skin, fading those fine lines... Exfoliation is the key! You can thank me later!

You should exfoliate two-three times a week unless you are dry and sensitive you may want to just exfoliate once a week and if you are extremely oily you may want to use a daily exfoliant.
Here are a few of my favorites:

This is the exfoliator I use once a week. Remember I'm sensitive and dry, plus I use a Clarasonic with my cleanser that works as a daily exfoliator as well. But I absolutely love this whole line which you can find at Sephora, unfortunately Ulta doesn't carry Tatcha. 
You mix a dime size of this rice enzyme powder with water and it emulsifies. I used to use this everyday with Tatcha's Cleansing oil and it worked beautifully. This is an exfoliator that can be used daily. Enzymes easily get rid of dead skin cells with little to no abrasion.


Philosophy's line is a really nice simple skin care routine if you are completely overwhelmed with everything. They have one cleanser and exfoliator, but branch out with their peels (stronger exfoliators) and prescribed moisturizers.
I love this exfoliator because it's simple and because it smells like a fresh cut orange!


                               

These two are probably the best when it comes to exfoliators. The Microfoliant is another rice enzyme powder which you can mix with water or you can add it to your cleanser so you don't have to  add an extra step to your routine. This is a Daily exfoliant but use it as your skin needs it. Anytime your skin feels extra tight or starts reacting dry, then don't use it everyday.
The Superfoliant is made with charcoal and is more for oily and aging skin. It also could be used daily but I would only recommend it if you are super oily, other wise go by the two to three times rule. And this one you do not want to mix wit your cleanser, it must be done separately.



4.  Now it's time to Moisturize!

Now this can be a little confusing and probably where you will need to definitely use the whole trial and error rule. I'm still figuring out the best moisturizer for me this season. Also not this is where you will spend a bit more money.  Moisturizers and serums are more expensive and even some exfoliants.

Since your moisturizer really needs to be for your skin type I'm going to giving you brands to look at instead  of actual moisturizers. Plus if you want to really up your skin care game then you may want to get a moisturizer for night and one for day. And there are so many choices, so it can be overwhelming, but I will lead you to the brands I trust most.

The first brand is Dermalogica
I work with this brand daily and they have many moisturizers to choose from for all skin types and they have night time ones as well, with there newest sleep cocoon moisturizer that helps you sleep and wake up looking like you are all bright eyed and bushy tailed! The also offer boosters that you can add you your moisturizers like an spf booster or a moisture booster, and even a breakout booster. These are really nice to personalize your moisturizer.

Next up is Philosophy
Their "when all hope is lost" moisturizer and gel mask saved me this winter! And their newest released Purity moisturizer is light and simple for all skin types, but they have others for oily skin, and aging skin to choose from, as well as night and day creams.

-Is a favorite to many over the years and is always revamping their skincare to stay above the rest. They just released a new moisturizer with rose pedals in it! (Say what?) They have awesome products to try and totally worth the price!

-Also has a few choices for you and the fan fav is their Moisture Surge which is packed full of moisture of course!

Another brand I'd like to mention and give them my all around seal of approval for cleansers, exfoliators, and moisturizers is Juice Beauty.  Only because this brand is 95% organic and it's a fabulous brand with even more fabulous ingredients, and I know a lot of you out there want that organic life!



So I hope this helped you understand basic skincare and please comment if you have any questions. And if you are in the Gastonia, North Carolina area and would like me to evaluate your skin personally I would be more than happy to help you! You can book with me here.

Have a Skintastic Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment